Torture & Trauma Support Services
“I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.”
– Maya Angelou
Many people from refugee and humanitarian backgrounds have witnessed and/or experienced torture and trauma. Surviving to tell the tale or often not wanting to speak of the tragedies they’ve seen or physically endured can have long lasting, profound consequences on their mental, emotional and physical wellbeing if left untreated.
What is the Program of Assistance for Survivors of Torture and Trauma?
This program was developed by the Forum of Australian Services for Survivors of Torture and Trauma, to support survivors of torture and trauma by providing specialised services to improve their emotional and mental wellbeing.
The Program is open to permanently resettled refugees and humanitarian entrants and those on temporary substantive visas living in the community, who are experiencing psychological or psychosocial difficulties related to their experience before coming to Australia.
It offers a safe, professional and nurturing environment for clients to discuss their pain, deal with their grief and address their fears. Ultimately, the Program’s goal is to help clients to heal, with a focus on counselling.
How does the Program work?
Melaleuca is one of the eight member organisations of the Forum of Australian Services for Survivors of Torture and Trauma qualified to deliver the Program. Consistently run throughout the year, the services we provide to individuals, families and groups consist of:
- direct specialist counselling, including therapeutic intervention tools and related support services, including case by case advocacy (eg offering client intervention to obtain necessary medical services) and referrals to mainstream health and related services
- education and training to mainstream health and related service providers
- community development and capacity building activities and programs.
As Melaleuca is also a provider of Complex Care services, this program benefits clients from humanitarian backgrounds who are referred by other service providers as requiring complex support.
What outcomes can our clients expect?
While each individual’s circumstances and recovery experience is different, our clients comment that the Program has been extremely helpful in offering:
- Individualised counselling
- Support with settling in at an emotional and mental health level Settling in support
- Creative group work, exploring diverse ways to share experiences (eg talk therapy, art therapy, dance groups)
- Specialised referrals
For more information about Trauma Counselling, please contact us on 08 8985 3311 or at email@example.com